Thursday, August 20, 2009

A Lemon

Wil is out fixing his car...for the third time since we've been married and for the second time in the past month and a half. I keep joking that Toyotas are better than Hondas and that his car is a lemon. If I were you, I would steer clear of telling him his car is a lemon - he's not a huge fan! :-)

I thought I would take this time to blog about our cars, and the milestones I was unable to write about because we did not have this blog at the time.

Wil has a 1998 Honda Accord. It is WAY nicer than my car (I'm talking leather seats, sun roof, remote keyless entry, climate control nicer!), but unfortunately will die long before my car too (because it's a lemon :-)...shhhh, don't tell!). About a year and a half ago, while we were engaged, Wil's car hit a very important milestone - 100,000 miles!


I'm sure you will think we're totally dorky, but we bought party horns (a suggestion that I was only kidding about at the time, but that Wil seemed to like) and drove around until it hit 100,000 miles!


We blew our horns and cheered and then pulled into a parking lot to take photos with Wil's car when it turned 100,000...that's a BIG deal in the life of a car! :-)


His car now has 140,000 miles - probably thanks to the many road trips we've taken and the fact that he drives to work, home from work, to school and home from school almost every day. If it makes it to 200,000 miles we might have to invite people over for a party!

I own a 1996, manual transmission Toyota Corolla. I bought it from my aunt when I turned 16 and I have had it ever since. My car is great, and rarely has any problems except for regular maintenance. My car turned 100,000 miles shortly after Wil and I got married, and it still only has 117,000 miles (thanks to the fact that I drive it long distances for work, but it sits parked in the driveway anytime we can choose between Wil's car and mine). So we got out our trusty horns, that we saved from his car's milestone, and went for a drive. We ended up by Lake Pleasant and pulled over to the side of the road to throw our little party.

Unfortunately, the camera battery on my camera died the night we celebrated my car's milestone...imagine pictures like the ones above, only with me and my car in them instead of Wil and his car.

Laugh all you want, but our milestone parties were great fun! I think they will become a tradition in our family.

3 comments:

Nikki said...

did you know that my car has had four engines?, and could legally be classified as a lemon... and it only has 72000 miles? My car aspires to turn 100000 miles. I am thinking of keeping it just so that I can see if it will. So far - so good.

Deidre said...

You guys are too much fun!!

Vivi said...

WOW!! My car just turned 204,000+ and I have yet to throw a party for it. I should for my poor little thing is falling apart cosmetically... Need to replace two more seat belts... I had forgotten about Nikki's four engines, that was a funny story...
P.S.. My car is a Toyota Camry and I asked Wil to trade with me many times.