Monday, May 9, 2011

525,600 Minutes

Five hundred twenty-five thousand six hundred minutes,
How do you measure, measure a year?


I'm amazed at the difference a year makes!

Last year on Mother's Day, I was a mess! This year, I've never been so happy to celebrate.

Last year on Mother's Day, I was finally six weeks pregnant - after trying to get pregnant for a little more than a year. This year on Mother's Day, I had the most beautiful baby girl in the entire world.

Last year on Mother's Day, I felt sick and hit my head on our new food storage shelves while looking for ribbon to use on my Young Women lesson handouts. This year on Mother's Day, I got paint on my arm while putting Adelyn's footprints on gifts for Wil's mom and my grandma.

Last year on Mother's Day, I clumsily stumbled through my Young Women lesson (after which, I had no idea what I had said), started shaking taking my chalk back to the library, walked up to the wrong car in the parking lot and stood there waiting for Wil to unlock it. This year on Mother's Day, I took a baby with me to church for the first time, carried a car seat with me to Sunday school and changed a diaper between classes.

Last year on Mother's Day, I came home from church and napped while Wil cleaned the kitchen and made my family dinner for me. This year on Mother's Day, I helped pick up the house and make dinner for Wil's family and my grandma.

Last year on Mother's Day, I prayed and prayed that I would not have a miscarriage on Mother's Day - because that's just mean! This year on Mother's Day, I changed diapers, had fun with family and cuddled with my little girl.

Last year the Monday after Mother's Day, I woke up at 1 a.m. to the obvious start of a miscarriage. This year on the Monday after Mother's Day, I woke up at 6 a.m. to the sound of my six-week-old baby grunting and cooing in her room.

Last year the Monday after Mother's Day, I made it part way down Grand Avenue before I broke down sobbing, pulled off the road and called in to work. This year the Monday after Mother's Day, I had visitors, did tummy time with Adelyn and made strawberry jam.

Yes, I'm amazed at and grateful for the difference a year makes!

6 comments:

Alison said...

awesome post! awesome year!! love LOVE LOVE you!!!!

Happy Mother's Day!!!

Nicole said...

good post.
We are so happy she is here, and love seeing how much you guys are enjoying her.

Natalie said...

Yikes Jessica!!! I'm so glad it worked out in the end, but I'm so sorry you had a horrific day a year ago! Man...

Lily said...

Sooo, then we are keeping her???? he he....YOu guys are the most awesome parents...I would never have thought to make jam six weeks after pregnancy. let alone have people over.

Vivi said...

Thank you for having us for Mother's day... we truly enjoyed your warmness, yummi food and your beautiful baby :-)

Deidre said...

You so deserved this year's Mother's Day Jessica!!!