Friday, June 24, 2011

Seeing Red

We interrupt the all baby all the time programming to bring you news of other events taking place in our household.

I'm not sure if you remember or not, but we have a dog. I understand if you forgot; we don't talk about him nearly as much as we did before we had a baby. In case you forgot - he looks like this.


I should preface this story by saying that last Thursday Wil cut himself and had to get a few stitches. Friday, I was sitting on the couch and noticed red spots on the wall. They looked like blood. Gross! I thought Wil must have come to sit down on the couch after he cut himself and before we left for urgent care and unknowingly gotten blood on the wall.

As I was cleaning the little red spots, I noticed a bunch on the floor...and the mirror...and the door. Seriously! How did he manage to get blood ALL over the house??? It wasn't bleeding that much, and he was using a towel to keep pressure on it and stop the bleeding.

I cleaned and disinfected everywhere I saw blood. Wednesday morning, I went to let Elvis in the house and noticed the little red spots were back all over the floor...and there were more on the wall...and on Adelyn's play mat...and on her Bumbo seat. Okay - this is seriously gross! It could NOT have been Wil this time - what is going on??? Do we have some sort of infestation of invisible bugs that spit red spots on everything? Or is something wrong with the dog? Elvis seemed like the more likely explanation, so I sent Wil a message asking him to check the dog when he got home.

Wil took Elvis to the vet yesterday and he came home looking like this.


Is that the look of a dog that hates his life or what???

It turns out Elvis has a major ear infection, which caused him to shake his head a lot. The vet thinks this led to him hitting the outside of his ear on something, creating a sore. (In our defense, we did notice the sore. We cleaned it a few times and were hoping it would get better - we didn't realize it was bleeding). His continual head shaking made the sore on his ear worse, causing the blood - now he has to wear this lovely bandage to keep his ears from flinging about when he shakes his head. His head shaking also caused said blood to fling across the house. I'm still cleaning and disinfecting, finding blood on another wall and cleaning and disinfecting some more. EWWW!!!

1 comment:

Lily said...

awwww, poor Elvis. I just want to hug him. Does it remind you of a story I told you about Clarisa? It brought back memories. Hope he feels better soon.