Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Baby Gate

There is no good place in our house for a baby gate. Despite this fact, we try to keep Addie out of the kitchen for a few reasons.
  • First, she LOVES the garbage can, and while I recently disinfected it, I have a very real fear that she is going to crawl up to the garbage can one day and lick it!
  • Second, she LOVES knocking over Elvis's water dish and splashing in the spilled water! In fact, I usually know when she's going for his dish because just a few seconds before she gets there, she starts breathing really heavy out of excitement.
  • Third, I think it's dangerous to have her underfoot when we're cooking.
In order to accomplish the challenge of keeping Addie out of her favorite room in the house, we have resorted to creating makeshift baby gates between the couch and the wall. These baby gates are made out of toys, chairs, end tables, car seats and storage boxes.

This video is of Addie trying to make her way through the baby gate we constructed out of her car seat.


Our current baby gate is made out of our Christmas storage boxes. I think it looks like she's trying to help us carry the box to the garage! :-)


The funniest part of the baby gate experience is how upset Elvis gets when we block the walkway between the living room and dining room/kitchen area!

You should know the baby gates we construct are typically half the height of our couch, or less. Elvis could easily jump (and sometimes even step) over said gates. Instead, he stands in front of the gate and whines and whimpers and even howls because he is trapped. A few times, our brilliant dog has even gotten a running head start and jumped straight over the back of the couch! Seriously, if he can jump the couch, I promise, he can jump the baby gate, but for some reason, he refuses!

No comments: