Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Do, A Deer

When my grandma first retired, she babysat my cousin's little boy (until he was about six months old). His favorite song was Old MacDonald Had A Farm. I went to lunch with them a few times, and my grandma would sing the song when he was tired of being in his car seat. He would stop crying and listen to the song.

When Adelyn was born, I tried to sing Old MacDonald...but I think it made her cry more. A few months ago, I discovered her favorite song (I think of it as my magic song, because it almost always makes her stop crying). It's the Do-Re-Mi song from the Sound of Music. She likes it even better when you click your tongue while singing it (I'm not sure how I discovered that).

We sing it like this:

Do, click click, a deer, click click, a female deer, click click click
Re, click click, a drop of golden sun, click click click click
Mi, click click, a name, click click, I call myself, click click click
Fa, click click, a long long way to run, click click click click
So, click click, a needle pulling thread, click click click click
La, click click, a note to follow So, click click click click
Ti, click click, a drink with jam and bread, click click click click
That'll bring, click, us, click, back, click, to, click, Do, click, O, click, O, click, O, click, O

We drove to Utah last week. This song was wonderful!

1 comment:

the Danosaur said...

You know, I think it is hilarious the things that would have driven us crazy in a former life, no bring sanity (obnoxious musical toys, endless repetition of songs, etc.) I'm glad you found something that works!