Right after Thanksgiving, I decided that it would be fun to do random acts of service in memory of my Grandma. Nothing big, just small good deeds. Last year, a man behind her in line at the dollar store paid for her few items and wished her a Merry Christmas. I remembered how excited she was about someone who was spreading the spirit of Christmas and had done something so nice for her.
I decided it would be Addie's and my project to do kind things for other people. Here's the list of what we did:
- Picked weeds at five houses on our street
- Made a special trip to McDonald's and paid for the car in line behind us
- Enlisted the help of a niece and a nephew to pass out treats to kids playing at the park
- Helped make 75 turkey sandwiches for the homeless
- Wil helped hand out the sandwiches to the homeless (and I stayed with the babies so he could go - I totally think that counts as a service)
- Took a treat to a friend who was sick
- Left a treat in the mailbox for the mail man
- Addie ran a treat out to the garbage man to thank him for picking up our garbage every week
I also posted on Facebook and sent notes to a few of my Grandma's friends asking them to participate and then to post what they did on her Facebook page. Here's what other people did and wrote in memory of my Grandma:
"As we remember Anna & her kind & giving heart, we thought of many acts of kindness. This morning our ward along with another ward went down town to feed the homeless. As I got out my coat to wear, I found another warm coat that I had not worn in sometime & decided to bring it to find a needy soul to give it to. I also had a set of ear warmers as well. When we arrived downtown, the streets werecrowded with the homeless who had just gotten some warm food & hot chocolate. I found an elderly woman walking with her cart of belongings & asked if she would like a warm coat. Her soft smile & thanks warmed my heart as I helped her put on the coat & covered her cold ears with the ear warmers. What a blessing to give! In honor of you dear Anna!"
"What a great way to remember and honor Anna! Since I read the post asking for participation in this, I have found myself thinking often of small acts of kindness that I could do. Recently, I heard of a situation involving 2 young boys who had been removed from a horrible situation of abuse and neglect. Thankfully, they are now being raised by their grandparents. The grandparents are struggling to meet the financial needs of these boys, and aren't able to provide Christmas for them...these two little guys have never had a Christmas present:( So, I joined with my sister, and a good friend and many other contributors, to collect many items that this family needs, as well as some Christmas gifts for two very deserving little boys who have had a difficult start in life!"
"So... I miss you like crazy! And I think of you often. Earlier this month I was in a dreadfully boring meeting and in your memory I did NOT get up and punch the speaker. The irony of this is, you would have been the one begging me to stop the madness and probably would have been egging me on!!!"
"Dear Anna Bloch, I have a random act of kindness. I saw a woman at Walmart with her two year old daughter, she had paid for her merchandise and was left $3 short. She was asking the cashier to remove an item, and that's where I stepped in and finalized her purchase. It wasn't much, not much at all, but I hope that it meant something for her. I've been in her shoes, where I don't have $3 to finalize my purchase, not from lack of bringing a credit card, but from lack of having $3 in general. I love you, and I miss you."
"Dear Anna, My random act of service took place in a full parking lot. I lucked out and spotted a prime parking spot and was about to take it when I saw a car behind me. I thought of Jessica's request of service so I passed up the space and parked much farther down. When I walked passed the spot, I noticed the car had a handicap license plate and I was grateful I had passed it up."
"Aunt Anna Marie - So happy to participate in a random act of kindness in your memory. There are many homeless folks near my work so yesterday I purchased breakfast for them. Miss you ....."
"Remembering my friend Anna this Christmas!! I'm doing a random small act of kindness for a friend by helping her prepare for Christmas by wrapping 20 of the presents she bought for her family while we shopped together this week and she has to work the next 5 nights at Phx Children's Hospital. Hopefully, this lets her get a little ahead before her family come next week for the holidays."
"I baked bread for two neighbors that were mourning. I bought 4 angel tree gifts. I've committed myself to doing about 20 loads of laundry for my RS pres (as a service for her generosity). and... I've been making an effort to be more kind when truly it's been challenging... refraining from gossip and being peaceful when I felt justified in anger... hey! that's huge! I love Anna! I miss her!"
I'm so grateful for all the people who participated. The world was a better place because my Grandma lived, and I hope in a small way these acts of kindness helped make it a better place now that she's gone.
I had so much fun thinking of ideas for our service project that I think I might make this an annual tradition. Although I'm playing around with the idea of doing it in July for her birthday and then doing random acts of service in December to remember the Savior.
No comments:
Post a Comment