Saturday, November 22, 2008

Deuce

Several months ago, a K9 named Baloo with the Tempe Police Department died in the line of duty. One of my client contacts with Wal-Mart at the time asked that we keep an eye out for any news stories that we saw where Wal-Mart could make a difference. I saw the coverage of Baloo's death and recommended Wal-Mart help out, and help out they did! Wal-Mart generously donated a new, $10,000 K9 to the Tempe K9 unit. His name is Deuce and he was officially introduced at a media event today.

He is a beautiful dog (I even got to pet him, before he started working) and I was fascinated listening to the trainers talk about the training the dogs go through and how excited the dogs get when they know it is time for work.


It was so exciting to see a recommendation I made through from start to finish. One of the things I love about my job is that while I may not have enough money to make a difference on this level, I do have the influence to make a difference on this level!

I really enjoyed working with the Tempe Police Department to coordinate the event. Channels 3, 10 and 15 all came and ran coverage of the new K9 donated by Wal-Mart. The East Valley Tribune was also there. I'll try to add the stations' coverage, once they post it online.

4 comments:

Nikki said...

yay for Jessica! That is a great story!
I imagine that it is the training that is so expensive?

the Danosaur said...

That is really cool. Sounds like you have a cool job.

Jessica Gonzalez said...

The dog came with more training than usual, but they still took 5-6 weeks at the police department to train him. He started on the force Thursday night, but each dog has to go through four hours of training per week per specialty. Deuce is going to be a narcotics dog, so he will have to have eight hours of training per week.

I think they are so expensive because they get the dogs from breeders who specifically breed police dogs. They come from good lines of police dogs and there are very particular qualities they look for in a dog to make him a good police dog.

Alison said...

That is awesome!

I love that about your job...