Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Tom Sawyer's Island

It's funny how you can get in a rut of doing the same things every time you go to Disneyland. But, there are several things you have never done.

Would you believe I'd never been on the Matterhorn until my freshman year of college? I got to do several things I've never done before while we were on this trip.

1. Tiki Room - in the Tiki, Tiki, Tiki, Tiki, Tiki Room; in the Tiki, Tiki, Tiki, Tiki, Tiki Room; all the birds sing words and the flowers bloom in the Tiki, Tiki, Tiki, Tiki, Tiki Room.

  • Two stories about the Tiki Room. First, I have no problem with breast feeding. It's healthier for the baby, I plan to do it myself some day, yadda, yadda. However, when breast feeding in public it is customary to cover yourself with something. A blanket, a jacket, I don't really care what you cover yourself with as long as you cover yourself with SOMETHING! At home, do it however you want, I don't care. In the Tiki Room at Disneyland you should REALLY cover yourself up. I SAW boob on the lady sitting next to me breast feeding her child with no cover. There were children in the room...and men...and random women she didn't know, not to mention singing birds, flowers and totem poles - all of these factors dictate the necessity of covering yourself while breastfeeding!

  • Second story. I could not figure out why I'd never been to the Tiki Room before. Then I went. Now I know. End of story.

2. Tom Sawyer's Island - which is actually no longer Tom Sawyer's Island. It is now called the Pirate's Lair. It was the COOLEST place ever! You could crawl through all the caves and up the stairs and there were bridges and things you could talk into and people heard you at the bottom and treasure and skeletons. It was pretty much awesome!

Wil giggled the entire way across this bridge on Tom Sawyer's Island. It was held up by barrels and when you would walk over a barrel the bridge would go up and when you were between barrels the bridge would go down. Wil liked it so much I had to take his picture!


This is us on the ferry waiting to cross the lake back to Disneyland and away from Tom Sawyer's Island. I thought the shadow picture was cool and it's my blog so I'm posting it here.

3. Canoes - I've always seen people canoeing around Tom Sawyer's Island but I've never actually done it. Wil and I had great fun in the canoes. Wil's never been in any kind of canoe before so he thought it was especially cool. Bucket list: ride in canoe - check!

We thought we were really funny...the junior high girls in front of us didn't think we were quite as funny. But we had fun...and that's all that really matters.

Us. On the canoe. You can't see the canoe, just the top part of the paddle, but I promise we were sitting in a canoe.

No comments: