Saturday, March 27, 2010

Burning Hot

I was in fifth or sixth grade when I first discovered microwaves and metal don't mix. My grandma was napping and I decided I would heat up some leftovers from the night before. So, I took the metal pot out of the fridge and put it in the microwave.

There were soon small flames in my microwave, and I did not have a clue what to do. So I went running into my grandma's room to wake her up - the microwave is on fire, the microwave is on FIRE! I'm sure that's not the best way to be woken up, but what can you do? My grandma's calm response - so did you turn off the microwave? NO! I came to get you!

Ever since, I have known not to put metal in the microwave...and that if the microwave ever catches on fire, you should turn it off before you run screaming for someone to help.

Two nights ago, I was baking a cake and the batter overflowed and landed on the heating element in the oven. It smoked a little bit but didn't do anything too bad. Wil and I laughed about it. We are getting a new oven today (HOORAY!!! More about that in another post), so we decided cleaning the old one was not required.

I kind of forgot about it last night when I turned the oven on to preheat. As I was washing a dish, I turned around and there were flames in my oven...FLAMES! They weren't huge flames, but there were flames nonetheless. I think I reverted back to my 11 year old self. I had NO IDEA what to do...so I turned off the oven (thank you for that lesson, Grandma!) and started yelling at Wil who was in the bathroom - the oven is on fire; the OVEN is on FIRE!!! He came running out, still trying to pull up his pants (I'm sure he'll love that I told you that). He opened the oven door took a towel, and smothered the fire. No big deal.

Remnants of what was at one point cake batter.

Except, it IS a big deal that I don't know what to do when there's a fire. I know all the fire prevention tips, but my only reaction when I see flames is to freeze and scream for help. What if Wil wouldn't have been here? I'm sure I would have figured something out (I probably would have thrown a glass of water on it, but I don't know if that would have been the right thing to do). What if I had kids and Wil wasn't here?!? This is a big deal to me!

So today I bought this.


Now, I will know what to do if my oven or microwave or any other kitchen appliance ever catches on fire again.

2 comments:

Audrey said...

That's awesome!! We got a fire extinguisher for our wedding and I thought it was silly.. Until one day, our landlords came down to our apartment and Clint threw our empty pizza boxes in the oven to hide them - the oven was off. The next day (we forgot about the pizza boxes..) Clint preheats the oven. I opened oven and flames were SHOOTING out!!! I'll never let him live it down.. but I was SO grateful for that fire extinguisher!

Team Skousen said...

No way! I wonder about this too! I know we have a fire extinguisher. The question is...where is it hiding?? I think about it a lot when I am cooking. I dropped a pepperoni down there a few weeks ago and just left it. haha now I am worried! You've inspired me to learn fire safety!