A few weeks ago, my Grandma was babysitting Addie and went into the garage to get something. Addie, my Grandma's perfect great-grandchild, was supposed to be going potty, but managed to get up and run to the door while my Grandma was in the garage. She made quick work of locking the deadbolt (a skill we didn't know she had). My Grandma could hear her running and playing with the dogs on the other side of the door, but couldn't get in. Luckily, my uncle was coming over and was only a few minutes away, so he used his key to unlock the door.
Fast forward to the day we moved Addie into her big girl bed. I looked at Wil and said, do we need to be worried that she'll lock herself in her room? She was able to lock the door at my Grandma's...
"No...that was a deadbolt, and I'm pretty sure she got lucky. She doesn't have the fine motor skills to lock the little lock on the doorknob."
"Okay..."
The next morning, I was brushing my teeth when Addie decided she needed to go potty. So we ran to her bathroom and I finished brushing my teeth in there while she went potty. I put my toothbrush down on the sink, pulled up her pull up and gave her some soap to wash her hands. She LOVES washing her hands and playing in the bubbles, so I was giving her some extra time and went to put something away in her room. I sat on her bed for a minute and then decided it was time to make her dry off her hands and come out. Only when I got to the bathroom door, it was locked!
I calmly went to the garage, broke out Wil's screwdriver and took the door knob off the door. I did try to hurry because I was nervous she was going to get scared in there all by herself. I finally opened the door to the water running in the sink and Addie using my toothbrush to clean the little chair she uses as a step stool at the sink. EWWWW!!! She wasn't even slightly fazed by the ordeal!
Since, we've been working on lock proofing our house. So far, we've replaced the doorknobs on Addie's room and the babies' room to non-locking ones. Because really, there is no reason my two year old needs her door to be locked, EVER! We left the bathroom knob off the door for a while, but finally put it back on when some people were coming over and we didn't want them to be grossed out that there was no knob or lock if they had to pee. Our bedroom has double doors, so as long as the one door isn't locked into the ceiling to keep it from moving, we can get in and out easily even if she does lock us out!

No comments:
Post a Comment