Sunday, July 5, 2009

Best Weekend Ever - Part, Indian Ruins

We decided to go on a road trip to Flagstaff, Friday. Thursday night, after we got home from the play, I listened to Wil snoring on the couch and I looked up fun things to do in Flagstaff. First, we went to Walnut Canyon. Once there, we climbed down 240 stairs to see Indian ruins - my legs were actually shaking when we got to the bottom. It was easier on my legs going up, but a bit more difficult to breathe. I LOVED Walnut Canyon!

The Indians living in this area used the rock overhangs to build their homes. It was an ingenious idea since they already had the floor, back wall and roof/ceiling created for them. They just had to build the side walls and a front wall to protect them from the elements.

Here, you can see the ruins across the canyon from where we were standing. There are about 300 of these ruins in Walnut Canyon. I have no idea how they got across the canyon to visit other members of their tribe - or, for that matter, how they kept their children from crawling off the edge of the cliff they built their homes on, but I'm sure they managed.


This is Wil and I in one of the rooms. many of the walls have worn down, but they have partial walls in many places and a few that are completely in tact. The black on the wall is from the smoke of their fires.


Here's me by a door leading from the main room where they lived to the room where they stored water and food. I'm not sure if they were exceptionally tiny or if the doors were meant to be crawled through, but I loved being able to walk inside the ruins and peak through the doors. It was AWESOME!


Finally, for your viewing pleasure, a view of the canyon. I was trying to get the bird in the picture too, so it's mostly sky...but I still think it's a cool picture! It doesn't even come close to doing the canyon justice - it was beautiful!

1 comment:

Deidre said...

Ahh! You went. Good. So fun and a good workout. The lava caves...have I ever told you I watched a movie in them?! It looks like it was a nice weekend.