Sunday, July 5, 2009

Best Weekend Ever - Part, Lava Cave


The Lava River Cave might have been my best find online and was the COOLEST thing we did this weekend. We're actually trying to talk Wil's family into going camping in a few weeks in Flagstaff so we can explore the cave again!

Wil just inside the cave.

So, you literally drive down this dirt road into the woods forever. You finally stumble across a parking lot and then it's just a short walk to the cave. There's not entrance fee, no park rangers, no nothing except a small wall around the entrance to the cave and a sign with a map of the cave. There is no man made or altered part to the cave...just you, lava rocks and pitch black. Luckily, we knew to bring a flashlight and sweater - it's a brisk 35-40 degrees inside the cave.

Me, just before an exceptionally narrow part of the cave.

There were parts where you had to duck to avoid hitting your head and parts where you had to sit and shimmy yourself down the rocks. We were in a REAL cave and it was one of the COOLEST things I have ever done!


Before we went into the cave, I was terrified there were going to be bats - I've always associated caves with bats and considering my aversion (some may call it more of a phobia) to winged animals...but there were no critters of any kind in the cave - we couldn't figure it out. No bats, no insects, no reptiles, no rats...only lava rocks and people. I was exceptionally grateful for this fact, because there were many times I needed to put my foot in places I couldn't see well or grab onto the top or side of the cave for balance or to lift myself up. No critters meant no worries about where I put my hands and feet.

Wil and I just outside of the entrance to the cave. You enter through the black hole looking area to the left of us.

We felt like we were in the cave forever and like we had almost reached the end before we decided we were done with the all consuming darkness and ready to head back out. Turns out, we only made it about 1/3 to 1/2 the way through the mile long cave. If you're ever in the area - I HIGHLY, HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend this cave...only get one of those hats with the flashlight attached to the front first, that would have been extremely helpful!

No comments: