Monday, September 28, 2009

The Cashier

Many weeks ago, we went to one of our favorite local stores...which shall remain nameless to protect the innocent. When the cashier rang up our produce, he would count the number of peaches...apples...pears...or whatever and then look up at us and say, "five?" or "four?" or however many there were. To which we would lean over the counter, count and say, "yes, five."

As we left the store, Wil turned to me and said sarcastically, "yes, Billy there are five, way to go...you're learning to count." OK, so we're kind of mean...but it was that annoying!

Today, we went to said store to buy groceries. We stood in line, we forgot something so Wil went back to get it while I stood in line, and then we stood in line some more. First, you should note that there were two people in front of us when we got into the line...and the cashier was half way done with the first person by the time we got there. I looked at a few magazines...Wil and I talked and only after many, many minutes of standing in line did we realize we were still standing there and had not moved. Wil was wondering if we should have picked the kid with the terrible acne when we decided to place a bet as to what time we would get out of the store. It was 8:39 (please note we had already been in line at least 10 minutes, and the cashier was three-quarters of the way done ringing up the woman in front of us. I guessed 8:47, Wil guessed 8:52 and I said "NO WAY!" Thinking there was no humanly possible way it could take another 13 minutes for him to finish with the lady in front of us and then check us out.

We proceeded to watch and wait as the cashier looked for a coupon he had accidentally dropped through a crack in the counter. He searched and searched and searched and brought over the manager to look and find out what he should do and it was at this very moment that Wil started reading this out of desperation...


Yes, my friends, that's a Woman's Health!

The cashier apologized and then started to ring us up. He got to the avacadoes and said, "do you know how many you have?" Wil put them in the bag, so no, I didn't know how many we had. The cashier counted the avacadoes and said, "five?" and I thought...AH HAH! He's that guy...so I peaked over the counter, counted the avacadoes and said, "yes."

He then proceeded to tell me that we couldn't get the better price on several items because of some lame excuse that has NEVER EVER caused a problem for me before. I told him to keep the produce through a gritted teeth smile, but refrained from telling him what I really wanted to say, which was that he could stick the pineapple and honeydew up his rear!

And then we left...any guesses what time? Go ahead and guess...later, later, you're getting close, it was 9:03. We stood in line for at least THIRTY minutes! For two people! These were not day after Thanksgiving crowds at the store...at 8:30.. on a Monday night! Next time, we are going to the acne kid!

Wil and I came up with a new application to work at any type of grocery store. The first question will be, "how many avacadoes are in this bag?"

PS...while we were in said line a couple in the line next to us bought $1,200 worth of zhu zhu pets...they sell them on ebay for more than they pay for them at the store...they got there at almost the same time the cashier started ringing up our $80 worth of groceries and were done significantly before us!

2 comments:

Team Skousen said...

Annoying!!!! I love that you guys read Women's Health. haha...at least you got a story to tell!

Nikki said...

what is a zhu zhu pet?