Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Quirky Me

Before we had a blog, Alison and Nicole both posted their six quirks. It was such a fun idea that I made Wil sit down and we each listed our six quirks in my journal - since we didn't have a blog. I don't think Wil was thrilled with the idea at first, but we were both cracking up by the end and thoroughly enjoyed coming up with quirks for each other. I'm going to post my six quirks here - plus an added quirk I forgot until just a few days ago. Wil will have to be responsible for posting his own quirks - I don't want to embarass him. Make sure you mention it to him, though. I think you would enjoy reading them.

Jessica's Quirks:

1. I have an irrational fear of birds. I know what you're thinking, AND I know it doesn't make sense to be afraid of birds, that's why I called it an irrational fear. I try to be brave, but anytime a bird comes near me, my heart starts to pound and the flight portion of my fight or flight instinct kicks in. I think I've finally decided it's the sound of the bird's wings flapping that freaks me out. So why am I afraid when I see a bird hopping around and not flying? It's the potential for flying and making the flapping sound that must scare me. My fear is actually so bad I have nightmares about birds being stuck in my shirt and flapping against my skin on a regular basis. It makes my skin crawl just thinking about it!

2. I do not like, nor will I eat, eggs, bacon, bologna, chicken on the bone or anything on the bone. GROSS!

3. I've been told I can be annoyingly difficult when I want to be. I like to think of it as playing devil's advocate - incessantly.

4. I would rather be sick than take gross medicine. This means I would rather have an upset stomach than drink Pepto Bismol, I would rather have a sinus headache than use nose spray and I would rather have a sore throat than gargle salt water. Why you ask? See number 3!

5. I LOVE flip flops!!! I dislike shoes that cover my entire foot and avoid wearing them at all costs. They make my foot feel trapped, imprisoned, confined, hot, etc., etc., etc. I take off my shoes any chance I get - at home, in the car, at work...you get the idea! I love flip flops because my feet don't feel as confined and they're easier to take on and off.

6. I must eat Reese's Peanut Butter cups in a very specific order. First I eat the chocolate around the sides, then I eat the chocolate on the top and bottom. Then, and only then - once all of the chocolate has been eaten, can I eat the peanut butter. I actually eat most candy bars in much the same way. For instance - 3 Musketeers.

Bonus. I thought of this one just the other day, but it was too good to leave off of my list. I am severely incompetent when it comes to everyday tricks most people learn as a child. I cannot wink - trust me I've tried, I've practiced, I can't do it. Actually, I can't squint (I'm not sure if that is the right word) either. When I use an old camera - you know, one where you have to actually look through the little viewing square - I have to hold one eye shut to be able to see through it properly. Also on the list of things I am unable to do - whistle (Wil's tried giving me lessons - he's a great whistler) and ride a bike.

4 comments:

Alison said...

Love your quirks! And some I can relate to. Flip flops for example... love them and love living in a climate where I can wear them year round.

We sure love you... quirks and all!

Deidre said...

Um can you say I had to actually go and buy new winter shoes because it is 40 degrees here?! My poor flip flops just won't cut it. I'm trying to remember why I don't have winter shoes after living at BYU.

Nikki said...

OOOOOK I am so glad that you were able to narrow them down!
Very funny!
I hate birds, too! (SOOOO GLAD THE CHICKENS ARE GONE!!)
I don't like flip flops... I don't even like open toed shoes.
I can wink and roll my tongue but I can't raise one eyebrow, and I have always really wanted to do that!
I don't find your husband to be very "quirky" but I am trying to think of something ...

rtgurnz said...

I'm so glad you got past that "nasally grunt" thing you did for a while as a child. Otherwise, that should have been number 1! I loved your list and did not know that you couldn't wink. Flip-flops are over rated. :-)