My grandma had to have Oscar put to sleep yesterday. It's funny how you forget how awful it feels to have a beloved pet put to sleep.
I've been blessed to have had a couple great dogs in my life. I can't decide if pets are sent to us to fill a specific role in our life, or if they just have an incredible ability to take on whatever role we need them to fill.
As a child, we had a cocker spaniel named Ami (short for Amiable Bear). She was a bright spot for a little girl during a very difficult time.
In junior high we got Oscar (short for Oscar Mayer Weiner). He was the runt of the litter and they weren't sure if he would survive. When he did, the breeders, one of whom worked with my grandma, gave him to my grandma because she always asked how he was. Under our love and care, he definitely overcame his runt status quickly! In fact, he weighed in at a whopping 34 pounds.
He was a pest as a puppy! He chewed EVERYTHING - and by everything, I mean everything. Presents, pictures, cupboards and one time he even chewed a hole in the carpet. There were several times my grandma was ready to turn him in to the Humane Society, but then he would do something cute and she just couldn't do it.
I'm glad she was never able to do it, because Oscar's role was to take care of my grandma. He was there when I went away to college and when I got married. He was there to be my grandma's constant companion and help her adjust to living alone. He filled a very important need in my grandma's life, and for that I will always be grateful!
Saturday, January 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
How sad! What a great dog! I loved Oscar... hope your Grandma is doing okay.
Oh no! I'm so sorry about Oscar. :( I'm glad I got to meet him though. I wish you and your Grandma the best.
One month ago I would have had a completely different reaction to this story... I would still have been sad for your grandma... but...
NOW... oh man. My heart is pounding in sorrow and grief... I cannot imagine.
I'm so sorry!!!
yea, this is like... too sad. I feel terribly for your grandma.
too too sad.
... thinking of ways to cheer her up.
Post a Comment