Not so much! The Farmers Market was a building with a bunch of Mexican food stands (I think it was cleaner at the tacos de la calle stand we ate at in Mexico!). It was tough to decide what to get, because they had so much good looking food! I finally decided to share Wil's carnitas with him (it's basically shredded pork roast that comes with corn tortillas so you can make little tacos.)
I watched, wide eyed, as the guy at the carnitas stand took his bare hand, stuck it into the guacamole, grabbed a fistful and flung it on the plate...he then repeated the process with the pico de gallo. But it was ok, because I was being open minded, feeling like I was getting a cultural experience, pretty much starving and determined not to think about it.
The carnitas were yummy, and I enjoyed most of the meal. Every once in a while, I would look at a piece of meat and say..."that looks funny"...and Wil would say, "don't eat it," and I would say, "ok" but didn't really pay much attention or think it was odd. One piece in particular I looked at and said..."that looks like liver...kind of like the giblets that come out of a turkey when my grandma cooks them for the dogs," and Wil said, "don't eat it," and I said, "ok."
After we finished our meal...Wil realized that the man had asked him if he wanted everything. Thinking the man meant, "do you want rice, beans, guacamole, pico..." he said yes. Then we figured out the man REALLY meant, "do you want all parts of the pig included in your carnitas."
We ate various types of meat listed on this sign.
We don't think all of these types of meat were on our plate, but I'm pretty sure at least liver was on our plate (EWWW!) - good thing I didn't eat the liver. I wonder what I did eat!
No comments:
Post a Comment