Thursday, December 31, 2009

La Lengua

We stopped for lunch on the way to the beach and had tacos de la calle (street tacos) at a stand in Tiajuana; they were delicious! Elsa talked me into trying a bite of one of Vivi's tacos..."try it, they prepare the meat differently by boiling it...they're really tasty." In Spanish to Vivi and Wil "don't tell her what it is until after she eats it!" I really need to learn how to say "don't tell her" in Spanish...in fact, I think this needs to be the first phrase I learn!

I was not sufficiently suspicious of my mother-in-law, so I said ok, and tried the taco. The meat was very soft and it was pretty good. Then I said, "what kind of meat was it?" (yes, I realize I should ask that question BEFORE I eat it!) To which, Elsa replied, "Cow." "What part of the cow?" I can't remember the answer, but it was something about beef and then she changed the subject.

It was not until we were adding up the number and kinds of tacos we had eaten so we could pay that I heard Vivi say, "I had two LENGUA tacos." LENGUA? LENGUA? That's definitely the word for TONGUE! (don't ask me how I know the word for tongue, but not the words for don't tell her in Spanish!) "I ate TONGUE?" Everyone else - "tee hee, tee hee, she told us not to tell you."

1 comment:

Deidre said...

Gross. How was Tiajuana? We like SD but have never ventured to that border...