Thursday, December 31, 2009

Garage Treasures!

My uncle and I are both off work this week, so we decided the time had come to help my grandma clean out her garage.

BEFORE


AFTER


Of course...any good garage cleaning day, needs to be accompanied by lots and lots of goofy pictures for this very blog!

Without further ado, our treasures...we'll start with the silly ones...

Too cool for your face glasses!





Watch out, Grandma has a knife and she knows how to use it!

I think she said this was a knife from my great grandma and great grandpa's restaurant. I'm not sure if you can tell, but the handle is being held together by tape!

VHS Rewinder

Remember these...from when it took too long to rewind the VHS tape in the VCR, so they made a separate rewinding machine...remember having to REWIND a movie???

Halloween Costume Box

That's me on the left sporting a pink elephant head and a clown/joker collar, Lynda is in the middle with a purple crayon hat, Miss America cape, old fashioned woman dress and Raggedy Ann socks, and my uncle is on the right showing off a pumpkin costume accessorized with a lovely black boa!

In case we ever need to rob a bank


Patriotic shawl with blue doll


These were my Tante Lina's (my great grandma's sister or great, great aunt), we shouldn't make fun, but really, how can you not make fun?

Now for the garage treasures that were old, sentimental or just plain COOL!

The binoculars

These were my Uncle Erich's binoculars, actually, he was my great-great-uncle...making the binoculars really old, and super cool...and HUGE!

JFK

Yes, those are two ORIGINAL Life magazines from the assassination of JFK. They even have the mailing address labels on them from my great grandma's subscription to Life. (This might be one of the COOLEST treasures we found!)

My wall hanging

My mom made this for my wall when I was a baby...how cute is this???

Grandma's dolls

These were on my grandma's dresser when she was a kid! How cool is that? I love the one with the blue dress, it's so pretty!

TV tray

When I was a kid, we only ate at the table at my great grandma's house on very special occasions. The rest of the time, we ate in the living room on TV trays. I think this was the only surviving TV tray, but at one time, she had enough that at least four people could eat dinner together on the TV trays.

Wedding cup


This is my grandma's, great-great grandma's wedding up...that would make it my great-great-great-great grandma's (FOUR greats!) wedding cup! WOW! That's a really old and totally awesome cup!

I think we need a closer look at that one!

3 comments:

the Danosaur said...

So I love this, because we also had a rewinder, and my grandparents always ate off those exact same TV trays! Thanks for those memories!

Team Skousen said...

What you can find in Grandma's garage!!! Looks like you guys did a lot of work!

Deidre said...

Ok. The baby thing your Mom made almost made me cry. Sweet. But I will have to admit as I scrolled past this post before I read it I kept thinking "How the heck did Jess and Will get so MUCH crap in their garage already?!" I get it now.