Thursday, December 31, 2009

Go Car, Go

One last post and then I'm done for today...I promise! :-)

When I was a sophomore in high school, my pre-calculus teacher decided to give us a project to help apply what we were supposedly learning in class. Now, keep in mind this was a math class, not a physics class...and I still have NO idea how this project applied what we were learning in class.

We were told we had to make a car to drive up a ramp carrying a ball, and when it got to the top it had to drop the ball back down the ramp. Now, being me and having NO mechanical inclinations at all...I went to the one person I knew could help...my uncle. :-)


He pretty much made my car for me, while I watched (well, sometimes I watched). It was a work of beauty...four wheels, a little motor that turned the wheels with a rubber band, and a battery pack to run the motor.


Yep, that's my car...I was pretty proud of that car (I must have been, if I saved it in my grandma's garage for the last 9 years!)...even if it never did make it up the ramp! It could drive straight but up a ramp was too much for it! It almost made it once, but then the rubber band broke. I replaced the rubber band, but it was never the same!

I can't remember what grade I got on the project, but I think it turned out being a pretty good grade. An A for my uncle's effort!

The second quarter of that class, however, was my first B (the grade of a B was in no way connected to the car, I think it was because I didn't do so hot on my final...or because the teacher hated me...actually, it was probably, most definitely because my teacher hated me.) :-) I cried for a week! Literally, I cried for a week...how obnoxious! SO glad I am past that stage!!!

No comments: