Friday, March 27, 2009

No Parking

I HATE being told what to do, especially if it does not make sense to me. For instance, when I was young and my great grandma would tell me to do something...even if I just was about to go do it before she told me to...I would wait a good 15 or 20 minutes before doing it, just so she would know I wasn't doing it because she told me to.

Apparently, Wil has this same stubborn, "don't tell me what to do" streak in him. Today, we got a newsletter from our homeowners association. It says, and I quote:

"There has been an increase in complaints regarding homeowners parking their vehicles on the street overnight. The Board would like to remind everyone that there is no overnight parking on the street allowed. Your cooperation in this matter is appreciated."

First of all, allow me to pontificate about what a STUPID rule this is...why does it matter if someone parks in the street overnight? Second of all, WHO is calling to complain about their neighbor's car parked in the street overnight...mind you we're allowed to park in the street, just not overnight. Do people really not have anything better to do than stare out their window to see if their neighbor is leaving their car on the street overnight???

There's a house down the street that actually goes to the extreme to follow this rule. They have two large work vans and an SUV. They park the two vans in the driveway as close to the garage as humanly possible and then park their SUV sideways behind the two vans in the driveway...so as not to be in the street overnight...I think this actually bugs me more than if they would just leave the SUV on the street. Yes, I realize that's irrational and no I don't know why it bugs me, but it does just a little bit because I think it looks weird.

We received our reminder in the mail today...this is where Wil parked when he got home tonight...


I realize it's a bit hard to see, but that is his car in the street...with an empty space in our driveway...just because he can and because NO ONE is going to tell him he can't park in the street in front of his own house! I might just be rubbing off on him...I'm so proud!

Wil also asked that I point out his car is facing the wrong way on the street - he's really being rebellious now!

3 comments:

Alison said...

Change the rule! :-)

In Glendale you used to get ticketed for parking the wrong way on the street. I know this from first hand experience. *grin*

You are too funny... I think knowing this could work in a reverse psychology kind of way... right?

the Danosaur said...

Sooo...who will laugh when they tow your car?!

Brad said...

Lol. Brad is a total rule follower and I must admit that I'm not. I can totally understand your frustration. This is Deidre.